19th June 2020
CA.TAP.Varadakutti, B.Com, FCA
Tamilnadu State Welfare Board for the Differently Abled
Government of Tamilnadu
Cell No: 9841048947
THE HONOURABLE CHIEF MINISTER
Sub: Humble suggestion of methodology for distribution of special relief of Rs.1000/- to the Differently Abled Persons ( DAPs)
Greeting from Tamilnadu Udavikkaram Association for the welfare of Differently Abled ( Udavikkaram)
Udavikkaram is a State Association started in 1983 and serving for the welfare of differently abled during the past 4 decades.
Udavikkaram thanks the Hon’ble Chief Minister for implementing various schemes for the welfare of Differently Abled Persons (DAPs), especially the recent announcement of financial assistance of Rs. 1000/- to 13.50 lakhs of differently abled to be disbursed to them to buy the basic essentials for their livelihood during the corona lock down period and we could see the cheers in their faces when they heard the announcement in the Televisions two days back and they are eagerly waiting for the financial relief.
During the first announcement of corona lock down on 24th March 2020, Udavikkaram launched its REACH THE UNREACHABLE program to help the invisible and unreachable Differently Abled Persons ( DAPs) living in remote villages across the State and help them with the monetary assistance of Rs. 1000/- per person. We give below Udavikkaram model of REACH THE UNREACHABLE
- We collected (a) Disability ID Card, (b) Aadhar Card, (c) Bank Pass Book First page, (d) Mobile Number from the DAPs by and through Whatsapp and Email.
- We created a Database with the detailed information such as (a) Name, (b) Address, (c) District Name, (d) Nature of Disability, (e) Mobile No, (f) Bank Name and branch & Account No (g) IFSC code No.
- We do block transfer, say 100 numbers at a time through Bank by furnishing to the bank, a list containing (a) Name of the beneficiary (b) Bank account No (c) IFSC Code No (d) Amount per person
- We also send message to the DAPs through their mobile number after remitting the amount for their confirmation of receipt of the remitted amount.
We have so far helped 550 DAPs @ Rs.1000/- per persons through Bank NEFT Transfer to their individual Bank Accounts. We have received applications from more than 1000 persons and every day fresh applications are being received from remote villages and we are remitting funds to their individual bank accounts. All the above support to the DAPs was through sponsorship and donations from the public.
We submit Udavikkaram’s REACH THE UNREACHABLE Model of distribution of financial assistance of Rs. 1000/- to DAPs in TamilNadu and request the Hon’ble Chief Minister to consider the Udavikkaram model for implementation. The advantages in this model being
- The complete Database of the Differently Abled taken by this method is most authenticated
- It will help the Government to know exactly the numbers of DAPs with their Disability classifications in each District
- The payment system is digitised since remittance is through bank NEFT transfer
- No DAPs will be left to be covered by this system
- Distribution of such huge amount of Rs.135 crores (@ Rs. 1000 per person for 13.5 lakhs persons) in cash at the doorstep of DAPs who are scattered and living in remote villages is a very difficult task but which could be easily done by this model.
- Misuse of and non-disbursement of cash to the DAPs can be eliminated.
Hence we suggest Udavikkaram model of REACH THE UNREACHABLE methodology as given below
- Total number of Districts in TamilNadu – 37
- The Differently Abled persons living in each District have been issued ID card by the concerned District Differently Abled Welfare Office ( DDAWO ) and coming under the jurisdiction of the concerned District officer
- The Financial Assistance of Rs. 1000/- should be distributed to the DAPs by the jurisdiction office of the District Differently Abled Welfare Department under the control of the District collector.
- Each DDAWO should be allotted at least 10 Whatsapp numbers / Email ID
- The DAPs in the concerned District should be asked to send the following information to the Whatsapp or Email ID – Scanned / Photo copy of (a) Disability ID card issued by the Department , (b) Aadhar Card / Ration Card, (c) Front page copy of Bank Pass book in the Name of DAPs showing Bank Account number and IFSC code number , (d) Mobile Number of the DAPs
- The details received in Whatsapp or Email should be then allocated to 10 to 15 people to immediately create Database prepared from the above three documents showing the following details:
- Name of the person
- Year of issue of the ID card
- Nature of Disability – LD / VI / HI / MR / Others
- Gender – M/F
- Mobile Number for contact
- Bank Name and Branch
- Bank Account Number
- IFSC Code
- From the Database,also prepare alphabetical list of beneficiaries to avoid duplication
- The above list has to be prepared by each DDAWO under the supervision of District Collector
- The disbursement need not wait till the complete Database is prepared
- The disbursement may be for every batch of 1000persons and every day 5 batches totalling 5000 persons per District can be distributed provided enough personnel is engaged in the creation of Database
- The bank (approximately 5 to 10 banks ) can transfer the amount by block NEFT transfer ( 500 to 1000 persons by each bank ) to the beneficiaries account within one day after the block list is given to the bank along with the total amount to be disbursed
- It is enough to furnish only the following details to the bank for block NEFT transfer
- Name of the beneficiary
- Address in short – viz. Chennai Tamil Nadu, Kancheepuram DT TamilNadu , Selam DT TamilNadu and so on
- Beneficiaries Bank Account Number
- IFSC Code
- Amount to be remitted to each beneficiary
- Remitters Bank Account Number
- Remitters Details – Email ID, Mobile No etc.
REMARK: The above is a foolproof method, faster and there is no scope for misappropriation of funds at the distribution point
HOW TO CREATE AWARENESS AMONGST THE DISABLED - WHERE TO CONTACT FOR THE MONEY
- The information of method of distribution and requirements of documents to be furnished by the DAPs to the Whatsapp contacts numbers of the concerned DDAWO’s / District Collector should be publicized through
- I. Tamil / English News paper
- II. TV media
- III. Sharing in Whatsapp Groups, Face book, SMS etc.
QUANTUM OF DISTRIBUTION
- Each district per day 5000 beneficiaries as mentioned in note number 3 above
- Per day distribution throughout Tamilnadu - 37 Districts X 5000 beneficiaries per District = 185000 persons per day
- Hence within one week or so the Government can plan to distribute to the entire Differently abled card holders of approximately 13.50 lakhs
A QUESTION MAY ARISE HOW TO DISTRIBUTE TO THE DAPs WHO DO NOT HAVE BANK ACCOUNTS OR MOBILE PHONES
In our experience in the field of DAPs rehabilitation, we noticed that DAPs in villages are very much in the knowledge of Government schemes and almost 90% of them are having mobile phone and bank accounts. The mobile is considered as their basic necessity to reach people on account of their physical immobility. Hence our model REACH THE UNREACHABLE will easily workout for distribution of corona relief announced by Hon’ble Chief Minister.
However in actual reality we may find 10 to 15 percent of DAPs population may not have phones on their own but they would also send details through other friends
HOWEVER WE SUGGEST THE METHODOLOGY FOR DISTRIBUTION OF RS. 1000/- TO SUCH PERSONS WHO DO NOT HAVE BANK ACCOUNTS / SMART PHONES
- Such persons should be asked to submit the relevant documents (Disability Card, Aadhar card) to their nearest ration shops who in turn should send the documents immediately to the concerned District office based on which database is created for such persons attached to the respective ration shops
- b. The money should be transferred to the said ration shops who in turn distributes cash at the doorsteps of the DAPs
Note: The distribution of the cash by this method should be very much minimised and may be 10 to 15 percent throughout Tamilnadu
DISTRIBUTION OF FUND TO DAPs IN THE HOSTELS, HOMES, SHELTERED WORKSHOPS AND TRAINING CENTRES RUN BY GOVERNMENT AND NGOs
The list of DAPs in the above said centres along with the required documents should be directly collected by the jurisdictional officers ( District Collector / DDAWO) and required amount should be directly remitted to the concerned NGO / Centre through Bank transfer only , after preparing the Database as mentioned earlier
ROLE OF TAMILNADU STATE BOARD FOR WELFARE OF DIFFERENTLY ABLED (the BOARD) IN THE DISTRIBUTION PROCESS
- The welfare Board has been constituted by the Government in which
- The Hon’ble Social Welfare Minister – being the chair person
- The Secretary of Department of Differently Abled – Deputy Chairman
- The State Commissioner for Differently Abled – Member Secretary
- Two members being MLAs
- Five DAPs leaders representing the various types of disabilities such as LD / VI / HI / MR
- The distribution of corona relief of Rs. 1000/- per person for 13.5 lakhs DAPs should be routed through and implemented by the Govt. as the welfare scheme of the Tamilnadu State Welfare Board for the Differently Abled according to the methodology as mentioned above.
- The board members should be informed about the status and progress of disbursements and final distributed amount and number of DAPs covered the details of which should be approved by the Welfare Board
OTHER IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS
- As for as possible , distribution by cash of such a huge sum of Rs. 135 crores should be avoided since it may lead to complaints of non disbursement or delay in disbursements or absence of transference system
- The differently abled persons should not be asked to go to any office to collect the funds since during the lock down period , coming out of the house is not possible
- The safest way is to credit the amount in the bank account , inform them by mobile regarding transfer of funds and enable them to go to their banks and collect the amount easily
I hope I have explained the methodology REACH THE UNREACHABLE very clearly and easy to understand.
The distribution of such huge amount of Rs. 130 crores to 13.5 lakh persons within 2 weeks during the corona lock down period is a Himalayan Task for the Govt. and any complaints from the DAPs in the State (regarding non disbursement or delay in disbursement) who are already suffering due to hunger and poverty and loss of jobs, no earnings and frustrated set of people will tarnish the good image of the Govt. and the Hon’ble Chief Minister who has been successfully tackling the corona problems in the State.
I hope that your goodselves would kindly consider my above suggestions for the earlier implementation of the program
I request your goodselves to kindly acknowledge the receipt of my letter. Udavikkaram eagerly awaits for the announcement of the earliest implementation of the scheme
CA.TAP.Varadakutti - B.Com, FCA
TamilNadu State Welfare Board for Differently Abled
Government of TamilNadu
Cell No: 9841048947
A brief note about me ( CA.TAP.Varadakutti )
- Affected with locomotor Disability ( ortho)
- 70 years old
- Serving the Disability sector during the last 4 decades
- State President of Udavikkaram with branches in many Districts
- National and State awardee for serving to the DAPs
- A Practising Chartered Accountant since 1973 and Statutory Auditors of many Govt concerns ( Appointed by CAG)
- Advisory Board member of
- Tamilnadu State Board for the Welfare of Differently Abled
- Tamilnadu State Advisory Board (constituted under the Disability Right Act)
- Tamilnadu Transport Monitoring committee (For Differently Abled)
1. The Chief Secretary, Govt of Tamil Nadu
2. The Finance Secretary, Govt of Tamil Nadu
3. The Revenue Secretary, Govt of Tamil Nadu
4. The Secretary to Govt. Department of Differently Abled
5. The State Commissioner for the Welfare of the Differently Abled
6. The District Collector, Chennai